Friday, July 12, 2013

To Hybrid or Not to Hybrid...

Like most children many of my childhood memories revolve around my bike. One of my earliest childhood memories is visiting Bike World on route 9 in NJ. Looking through the plethora of bikes I finally picked out what I thought was the coolest bike ever. Buying that bike is a feeling I will never forget, even if I was forced to buy a neon yellow bike helmet to accompany it! Venturing into the world of biking as an adult I was hoping to relive that experience, what I experienced instead was daunting.

After I decided I wanted to start riding again, I decided to pop by the local bike store, Metro-Bicycles. To say the visit was an eye opener would be an understatement. I have always known there are different types of bikes but I was totally unprepared for the overwhelming amount of choices that were in front of me. Hybrids, road bikes, mountain bikes, city bikes, cyclo-cross bikes, and the types of bikes were endless. I spoke to a clerk and he explained that for what I wanted I should look into road and hybrid bikes. He explained the basic differences and even took time to recommend a couple of bikes. Eager to learn more, I quickly left the store and ventured home to begin my research.

As I started to do research on road bikes, I couldn't help but remember my oldest brother's sleek, red road bike. To this day, I clearly remember him coming home from the store with his new bike. Even clearer is my memory of the day he got side swiped by a driver who was too busy looking after his kids to pay attention to my brother driving by him in the shoulder. Despite that experience, once I started looking at road bikes I became fascinated. These bikes were totally different from the bikes I grew up riding. They were like the bike my brother, whom I greatly look up to, quickly rode around the quiet streets of our suburban town. Even more enticing was the fact that these were the type of bikes professional cyclist like Chris Froome ride every day of the Tour de France. These things are a work of art. They are made for speed! The handle bars allow you to bend your body for maximum aerodynamics and the bikes themselves are light as feathers to enable the least of amount of work for your legs.  The only problem was the price tag. Wow are these bikes EXPENSIVE!

With the sticker shock still ringing in my ears, I decided to check out hybrids. Hybrids looked way more like the bikes we all road around as kids. The reason they are called hybrids is because they are just that; a hybrid between a road and mountain bike. They are lighter than a mountain bike but heavier and sturdier than a road bike. They are made for people who want to ride around town but not ride for super long periods of time. Initially I was very apprehensive of choosing to buy a hybrid. It seemed like too much like the same old bike I grew up with. I wanted something shinny and new. I was enamored with the road bikes. It didn't help that many of my friends on Facebook and many people on bike forums were also pushing me to get a road bike.

I finally decided it was time to actually check them out in real life and take both kinds of bikes for a spin around the streets on Manhattan. Per the advice of an old high school friend, I visited Bicycle Habitat in SoHo. This place is one of the premiere biking stores in NYC. The guy I met there, Ed, was super helpful. He showed me some hybrids and the Trek 1.2 road bike. He was amazing at explaining the benefits of both and really pushed me to take them for a spin. I handed him my drivers permit (yes, I know I need to get my license) and my debit card as collateral and I was quickly on the roads of downtown NYC. First off, for those of you who have never rode a bike on the streets of New York let me tell you it is not for the faint of heart. This was my first time, and maneuvering through the busy streets of SoHo on bikes I did not know was a tad scary. However, I quickly fell in love with the adrenaline rush! The first bike I tried was the Trek 1.2. It is considered an entry level road bike, not the best, but not the worst either. It was super light, at least compared to any bike I have ever ridden prior to that, and it had dropped handle bars that allowed me to get low for super fast riding. It was definitely a change...and I liked it. The only problems I had were the price tag and the fact that I could only go on smooth roads. That meant no riding down the cobblestone roads of downtown NYC.

I next tried two hybrid bikes. Right away I felt comfortable. These were like the bikes I grew up with but better. They were lighter, still heavier than the road bike, but allowed for more punishment.  One of the hybrids, even had bar ends that allowed me to get into a lower, more aerodynamic position. Bar ends are additions to your handle bars that provide different hand positions (who knew such things existed?).

Leaving the shop I was torn. I couldn't imagine spending close to $1000 on a bike. The last bike I bought wasn't even $100. My head was in a fog. I had no idea what to do. That is where having an amazing wife came in handy. My wife always knows how to help me make up my mind (Well, maybe except when it comes to choosing food on a menu. Then no one can help me.). She asked me what I needed my bike for and what I wanted to do. By the end of our conversation it was clear that a hybrid was the way to go. We decided that down the road if I really want to race then I will buy a road bike.

Again, the problem came down to price. A new hybrid bike was still really expensive, especially once you factor in the accessories like a helmet, a lock, a water bottle attachment, bike shorts and a pump. Once again I reached out to some of my friends for ideas. Without fail they recommended looking on craigslist. Man were they right. Within a couple of days of searching I found a great deal. A slightly used Trek 7.3 fx hybrid 2011 bike. It was under 300 bucks and included a helmet, lock and an attached water bottle. SCORE!!! I quickly contacted and met the owner. Before I knew it the bike was mine.

While the decision process was confusing it allowed me to become immersed in bike culture. I learned a ton scouring the various bike websites and forums and even made some connections at the local bike store.There is a whole world out there that I had no idea existed. I am now an owner of a hybrid bike. I hope the people of New York are ready for me to be on the road again.

No comments:

Post a Comment